Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Notorious Porker Ingesting Groupies

Notorious Porker Ingesting Groupie. It sounds like some kind of bad sci-fi movie, doesn’t it? Actually it’s what my overactive imagination came up with on hearing that the Notorious P.I.G All American BBQ  didn’t have any words to go with the P.I.G. acronym. I thought they should have a contest and whoever came up with the best name would win a free dinner. So that’s my entry.

The Notorious P.I.G is a new BBQ restaurant on the corner of Thunderbird and 32nd St. where Carmella’s Italian Restaurant used to be. Now that Carmella’s talented former chef is cooking at Gino’s (see below) this is an even better use for the building. The interior hasn’t changed a lot, in fact they still have the same uncomfortable chairs (new ones are on the way), but the simplicity works well for a BBQ joint. For sports fans there are two flat screen TVs in the dining room, and more in the busy bar. It was a little past lunch time and the dining room was almost empty so we had lots of time to talk with our server, Torry. He moved to Phoenix a few weeks ago from Cincinnati, and this is his first restaurant job. We really enjoyed his enthusiasm. Ken asked a question about the chili, and Torry got a sample from the kitchen (with two spoons - smart man). When I said I had heard that the hushpuppies were overly seasoned with cayenne pepper, he went back again to make sure I could get some that would be to my liking. He checked in on us frequently, and later brought other staff members over to meet us.

 Before our entrees, we were served a little loaf of piping hot, sweet cornbread, still in the dish in which it had been cooked. It was accompanied by honey butter. I was already being won over.  There are three kinds of BBQ sauce - a mild tomato based one, the mild kind spiced up with pepper (I combined these two to make a slightly hot sauce), and a North Carolina mustard based sauce that captured Ken’s heart.
I “ingested” a pulled pork sandwich ($8.99) topped with delicious coleslaw that had a blue cheese dressing. The pork, nicely moist and flavorful, combined with the slaw (I would have liked a little more of it on my sandwich) and a decent roll was very satisfying. One side comes with the sandwiches, so I chose the hushpuppies. There wasn’t a trace of cayenne, which I appreciated, but they were a little lacking in corn flavor. The texture, however, was fabulous, they were so light they were almost airborne.  Ken had ribs and beef brisket ($16.99). Be forewarned - the ribs are dry cooked, not falling off the bone and swimming in sauce. The dry rub was nicely balanced and the meat was perfectly tender, as was the brisket. The mac & cheese side needed a slight flavor nudge. We suggested adding truffle oil.  We were too full for dessert, but Torry told us that there are several homemade pies ($3.99 including pecan and sweet potato), cobblers, and cookie sundaes (both $4.99).

Get this - on January 29 (I think that’s the correct date) there’s going to be a FREE
pig-pickin’. You can bet this Notorious Porker Ingesting Groupies will be there.

The Notorious P.I.G.
3230 E. Thunderbird Rd.   Phoenix  
602-992-3700
www.thenotoriouspig.com (website still under construction)  call for hours of operation

No comments:

Post a Comment