Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Satisfaction

     If  you kiss enough princes, and you’re very lucky, one of them might just turn into a satisfied frog. Good fortune has smiled on us - if you go to 2827 E. Bell Rd. in Phoenix, you’ll find one there. Crazy Ed’s Satisfied Frog (a.k.a. The Little Frog on Bell) opened last night.
This is the home of my favorite fried chicken, and some mighty good ribs, beef and pork. The original Satisfied Frog lived up in Cave Creek in Frontier Town. He’d been around since 1981, and his demise came amidst a swirl of controversy, about two years ago. Crazy Ed and his wife Maria kept in touch with the faithful by e-mail, and he continued to sell his “world famous” Cave Creek Chili Beer on line. Then came the news that he was planning a come-back, and we hung on his every communication. Last night was our reward.
The new Frog is much smaller than its predecessor, but much cuter. There are rustic wood chairs and red tablecloths. Terrific lantern light fixtures, and for those who can’t do without, 12 TV screens. And the food is even better!! Our chicken ($14.99, enough for two) had crackly good skin, the fries were just the way I like them (you know, nice and crisp). A house salad was included, unlike at the old Frog. The price for this dinner was $3 less than previously. For dessert we had our old favorite, strawberry shortcake ($6.99, again, enough for two). The quality of the ice cream has been upgraded, and nice biscuits sop up the syrup, instead of cake which used to get soggy. This was $2 less expensive.
In fact, all the prices are quite reasonable. The meats, which all come from Harris Ranch and are organic and hormone free, range in price from $6.99 for a ground-fresh burger, to $18.99 for a full rack of St. Louis ribs. All-you-can-eat beef ribs (boy, did they smell good!) are available daily for $10.99. There’s pulled pork and brisket, and fish and chips ($9.99 for a basket and $12.99 for a platter). A new item on the menu is cream of green chili soup ($6.99), described as heavy cream blended with mild green chiles and butter, then topped with croutons and cheese. I’ve got to try that next time. There’s lots more on the menu, which you can find on line.
I think I’ll go find some more princes to kiss and see what pops up next.
Crazy Ed’s Satisfied Frog
2827 E. Bell Rd.   Phoenix     602-765-7777
satisfiedfrog.com
11AM-10PM Sunday - Thursday,    11-11 Friday and Saturday, bar open til 2AM

4 comments:

  1. I have to agree, this new Frog is better than the last. The food is better, the atmosphere is friendlier, and the service is excellent! I tried the burger when I went in and it was the BEST burger I have ever had. The meat is so delicious, that I did not need to douse my burger in ketchup like I do at other restaurants. I am for sure going back! Thank you for the great food and experience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second that! We all ordered something different from the menu and shared. EVERYTHING was EXCELLENT!!! I can't wait to back on a Friday night to check out the crowd. Great food, great service, great drinks! I will be a frequent customer for sure!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Had an early lunch there today. I had eaten at the original Frog years ago in Cave Creek. The first day of spring break and I thought I would take my daughter there before heading on an adventure. I was looking forward to seeing some old west type stuff. My burger, ordered med well, came out med rare, my daughter's came out brown on both sides and raw in the middle. Guesss we should have gone to McD's the way she wanted. I liked the old place much better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this place! They have broasted chicken! Not many places in town have that. I ordered it and it was very, very good and YOU GET A LOT OF IT! It reminds me of when I lived back in the midwest! The service was great, and my food was yummy! I am very impressed!

    ReplyDelete