Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Dining on Central

While researching restaurants in central Phoenix, I ran across a blogger's review of Switch
Restaurant.  It got a very positive write-up, and looked attractive in the photos. I went to
Switch's web site and looked over the menu.  Lots of interesting sounding sandwiches and
salads, and a small number of more expensive entrees.  Also a fairly extensive drink and wine
list.  The thing I liked best was the wide range of prices.
Switch is right next door to Durant's and they share a parking lot, so it might be hard to 
find a spot on weekends.  You can enter from the lot by going through a cute, narrow patio space
outfitted with both tables and chairs and cushier couches. There are misters, although they weren't in operation while we were there.  The interior lived up to the photos. It's very stylish and cool with lots of royal blue accents. Some interesting art pieces line the walls - they seem to be for sale. Bar seating fills one part of the space, tables, chairs and banquettes the rest. Ken said his chair was adequately comfortable.
I decided on a lobster and seafood crepe, while the rest of the table ordered burgers. Notably, the burgers are served with a Caesar salad, rather than fries. Ken thought this felt more "grown up".  Wedge fries are an optional add-on. Ken and I also ordered sangrias, a white and a red, which were priced two-for-one. Our server was pleasant and efficient.
The sangria was good, but nothing special, although I did like the white more than the red.  Food portions are quite large. My crepes covered most of the dinner plate, while nicely cooked asparagus filled the rest. There wasn't a whole lot of lobster in the filling, which I suspect contained "faux seafood", but it was really quite tasty.  Everybody liked their cooked to order burgers. Ken raved about the substitution of celery and carrots topping his burger rather than the ubiquitous lettuce, tomato and onion. I took a bite of his burger and was wowed by the bun. It was more like a crumpet (a tastier version of an English muffin) than a bun, and it had been grilled. The side order of potatoes got mixed reviews. I thought they were mealy and somewhat dry as well as over-seasoned, but our friends liked them a lot.
Since there was chocolate cake on the dessert menu, I felt obliged to put it to the test.  It seems to me that there's a dearth of good, moist chocolate cake, the kind that actually tastes like chocolate, in Phoenix. Switch's version wasn't bad. It was moist: of course the whipped cream, vanilla ice cream and chocolate sauce that came with it helped. If I had closed my eyes I probably would have known it was chocolate (which can't be said for many).  Ken was less impressed than I was. Please, please, if anybody knows where I can get a really good piece of chocolate cake, let me know!!
One thing I noticed about the menu is that many of the ingredients are used over and over in various dishes.  For instance, there was smoked turkey in the mac and cheese and in three or four of the sandwiches. I'm sure this makes good economic sense for the restaurant, but it narrows down what at first glance is an extensive menu.
Switch is a sister restaurant to Ti Coz and Fez. I liked Switch the best.  All in all it was a very pleasant dining experience and we will go back. It's so nice that central Phoenix is getting more and more interesting places to eat.
Switch Restaurant
2603 N. Central Ave., Phoenix
602-264-2295
open 7 days  Mon.- Fri.  11 AM - Midnight, Sat. & Sunday 10 AM - ?

1 comment:

  1. Roz, Thanks for your thorough and thoughtful review of Switch. I really appreciate your comments and hope to improve on the areas where we lack. I will share this with our entire staff. We hope to see you and your group back again soon. Cheers, Tom Jetland

    ReplyDelete